- Learn how to create a model that will run smoothly in Sefaira (this also includes modifying existing models)
- Get access to a model (either by creating or by downloading one) that will run smoothly in Sefaira for your first test run!
Before You Begin Modeling
Keep in mind that the goal is to create a conceptual model — your geometry can be very simple in order to run an effective energy analysis. Focus on creating the “outer shell” of your building with representative glazing; there is no need to model details such as window mullions or changes in material. Click here for more reading on modeling strategically for Sefaira. If you are working with an existing model which needs simplified, please view this article.
In this example, each facade is considered EXACTLY the same from an energy performance standpoint. The difference is that the Before image has ten planes (eight window planes and two wall planes), and the After image has two planes (one window plane, one wall plane). Less is better.
In order to achieve a successful and accurate analysis, the following requirements must be maintained:
1. Model using single, thin planes
Do not model thicknesses for roofs, walls, floors, glazing, or shading. This will adversely impact the analysis results and possibly result in upload errors.
2. Align model with the central axis
Models that are far from the central axis (X=0, Y=0, Z=0) will impact the Sefaira analysis. Place the model close to the central axis.
3. Verify entity type assignments
While in the Entity Palette, verify that entities have been assigned accurately by clicking the ‘Show Entity Types’ button. Reassign entities that were misinterpreted by right clicking on the plane, and selecting the correct entity from the menu.
When assigning entity types, keep the following key points in mind:
4. Clean up model and check total plane count
- Delete, hide or put on a layer which is turned off any groups, components or planes that are not a part of your project and its context.
- RTA runs will occur on-demand for models with over 8,000 planes and 1,200 glazing planes. Plane counts over 5,000 glazing planes are currently not supported.
WHAT YOU’VE LEARNED
- You can now create new models that will work with Sefaira
- You can also modify your existing models to work with Sefaira
- You are ready to get started using Sefaira!